Money, Money, Money…
You’ve gone to a few cons, you’re running ads and you’re selling merchandise — all of which is generating money for you. Congratulations! You’re starting to succeed. But you could go so much further. And now that you have some cash, you can do what you couldn’t do before. So what should you do with these earnings? Well, here are a few things to consider.
- Pay your collaborators. First things first. Everyone who has worked on the comic deserves their fair share.
- Pay for your domain. If you have a free site or your own server, that’s good, but if you’re paying hosting fees this makes it feel like its free. After all, you can’t make money off of a comic that no one can see.
- Buy ad space on popular websites. More readers means more buyer potential for your merchandise. Also, it’s easier to sell ad space if you have more pageviews than the other people.
- Invest in your merchandise. If you buys items in bulk, most places will let you have them at a cheaper price. This way, you can lower the cost of your shirts without losing profit. And people do love a bargain.
- Contribute to your next convention. You probably won’t make enough to pay for a booth, but every little cent helps. Take your merchandise/prints/whatever and set up shop at the next big convenion.
- Bank it. Put it away for a rainy day. As your success builds, so will your bills.