Philip M. “Frumph” Hofer announced yesterday that he will soon release ComicPress 4.0 — the first update to the widely used webcomic CMS in years.
But there’s something you have to know upfront: Upgrading to 4.0 is going to mean making some significant changes to your site. If you update the theme without making these changes, your ComicPress site will cease to function properly.
Do not hit that update button until you have a handle on what you’re getting into.
Here’s a brief walkthrough of what’s involved:
1. Note all of the widgets you use and what sidebars they are in. Make backups of the contents of text widgets that you have.
2. Note any changes you needed to make to the header or anything else to make some other plugin that you have work. Some comic-listing sites at one time asked you to add something to the theme, remember those and write them down.
3. Check ALL of your comics. If you are using a single category for all of your comics you’re good. If you are using storylines or multiple categories – the migration requires that those comics be SET in a single category, they can be different chapters but only one category check-boxed per comic, if there are more go through them and make it set to only one.
4. Your child theme, if you have one, will become obsolete. The only thing you can save in your child theme is the style and images. Certain elements like .narrowcolumn are now called #content-column, #page-wrap is now just #page and #page-wrap is used to put a layer graphic above the background. If in doubt, Frumph will always be available to help you, just send him your child theme in email and he will convert it/fix it for you.
4a. Make back-ups of style.css. No other theme files will be valid after the update, so back up your CURRENT ComicPress and child theme, and do an export of your site before updating so if you want to revert back you can. You can do this several ways:
• WP-admin -> Tools -> Export.
• Use a database backup plugin.
• The safest, most-secure method is to use phpmyadmin from your Web host’s control panel, and do an export of the .sql
5. Multiple comics per day will not work on the migration. If you have comics that have the same date in them in your /comics/ folder it will take the first one it finds and use that one. You will have to add the additional comics per day by editing the comic post itself.
Philip will be available through this site (and through Frumph.net) to field your questions. You may also e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org or hit him on Twitter (@frumph) and Facebook.