ComicLab Ep 23 — Gloria Calderón Kellett talks about writing comedy
This week on the show we’re thrilled to welcome the creative powerhouse Gloria Calderón Kellett. Well-known for the critically acclaimed relaunch of “One Day At A Time,” she is a show-runner, writer, actor and all-around force-to-be-reckoned-with. She talks with Dave and Brad about her writing process, finding new ideas, sitcom writing, writing as a collaboration, editing for humor, and much, much more. Gloria and Dave have been married for a number of years. (Which number is anybody’s guess.) So this marks the first time that one of the ComicLab hosts exchanged smooches with one of the guests.Sorry, Jake.
BUT FIRST… Speaking of humor writing, Brad’s older son, Alex, has become fascinated with writing comedy. And that has resulting in a strange combination of pride and fear for dad.
- 00:00 — Brad’s son wants to be a writer
- 11:10 — Facing the blank page
- 16:46 — What’s missing from webcomics? Craft services.
- 19:49 — Writing an episode for TV
- 21:19 — Accepting criticism
- 25:00 — Do Gloria and Dave ever collaborate on each other’s projects?
- 27:27 — “Finding your muse” in an actor
- 34:24 — Writing as part of a team
- 44:20 — How to see a live taping of ODAT
- 45:23 — The sitcom writing format
- 55:55 — Editing for humor
- 01:02:09 — Writing in groups vs writing solitude
on June 7, 2018
Posted In: ComicLab