ComicLab Ep. 29 — Allowing your drawing style to mature
Cartoonists Dave Kellett and Brad Guigar talk about making comics! In a previous episode, both artists came out against re-working old comics… until one of Dave’s “Drive” readers pointed out that he had done it himself before the first “Drive” book was released! THEN a listener asks how to ensure that every page ends on a story beat. NEXT, we talk about the positive effect that Patreon has had in establishing close-knit communities. If Patreon changes, will this disappear? THIRDLY, a reader is concerned that comics are being replaced by memes. And FINALLY, a cartoonist is worried about allowing their drawing style to mature. Will they lose readers? And how DO you pronounce “mature” anyway?!
- 00:00 — Don’t ask Brad to ‘Like’ your Facebook Page
- 05:19 — Shaving naked, a gentleman’s guide
- 09:05 — Reworking old comics
- 18:00 — Ending each page/update own a story beat
- 36:02 — Patreon’s paywall encourages close-knit communities — what happens if it goes away?
- 55:00 — Are comics being replaced by memes?
- 01:01:25 — If I change my drawing style, will I lose my readers?
- 01:04:00 — How do you pronounce “mature”?