ComicLab Ep 33 — Comic-Con International
Webcomics artists Dave Kellett and Brad Guigar are talkin’ shop! Dave Kellett has returned from his 20th appearance at Comic Con International in San Diego — and it was a huge success! He shares the strategies he used to beat the odds and make a profit at an incredibly demanding show. Plus… booth barnacles, Hollywood scouts and the religious pugs.
- 00:00 — Religious pugs and other oxymorons
- 02:34 — The new pedestrianized Comic-Con frontage
- 05:45 — Hard times in Hall H? — Marvel and Disney’s reduced presence impacted foot traffic on the floor
- 11:51 — Dave’s best Comic-Con ever
- 12:59 — The Webcomics section of the show has shrunk
- 15:25 — Small Press and Artist Alley
- 21:19 — Selling long-form vs selling short-form comics
- 29:24 — Flyer advice
- 32:33 — The Big Takeaway… the show is about the Experience for most people. It’s not about buying your book. And (ironically) understanding that concept can help you improve sales.
- 37:58 — How can you offer an Experience?
- 50:38 — Using Instagram to increase convention sales
- 54:25 — Booth Barnacles
- 01:05:39 — The most brilliant Booth-Barnacle strategy ever
- 01:10:06 — Are YOU a Booth Barnacle?
- 01:17:55 — Think about your visual branding
- 01:23:39 — Does this mean comic conventions are “back”?
- 01:26:21 — Hollywood scouts and how to mess with their heads