ComicLab Ep. 40 — Special Guest Kazu Kibuishi
Webcomics workhorses Dave Kellett and Brad Guigar are talking shop with Kazu Kibuishi on the eve of the release of the eighth book in his graphic-novel series, “Amulet.” The New York Times Best-Selling graphic novelist talks about the early crisis that redefined his career.
BUT FIRST, Kazu Kibuishi enjoys a tasty, tasty croissant.
- 00:00 — “What am I — the Queen??”
- xx:18 — Introducing Kazu Kibuishi
- 03:24 — Leading a team of artists on a single project
- 08:15 — Is it energizing working in a studio environment?
- 10:00 — Promoting a book through social media and travel
- 16:30 — The early “failure” that redefined Kazu’s career
- 28:25 — Persistence sometimes includes stepping away
- 31:28 — Planning an epic-length comic / Kazu’s process
- 38:00 — How to approach a publisher / the importance of having an agent
- 44:30 — How much impact do reader comments and feedback have on your writing?
- 50:43 — What skills have you developed that time has rendered useless, and do you wish you could have that time back?
- 57:49 — What is the best part of your day / least favorite part?