ComicLab Ep 58: Kryptonite razors, hypnotic glasses and ennui
Dave Kellett and Brad Guigar are talking comics! In this episode, they point out that the Eisner Awards have changed their submission guidelines — and that’s great news for short-form webcartoonists! THEN they discuss a tweet by Nate Powell that has everyone talking. This Eisner-winning cartoonist claims his income breaks down to about $455 a month! NEXT, it’s all about joke theft — what do do when you’re accused of it, and what to do when it happens to you! THEN, Dave and Brad do a deep dive on exclamation points. How many it enough? How many is too many?! And what about the interrobang? FINALLY, the guys talk about embedding ads in your comic to promote a Kickstarter or Patreon campaign.
But first… Dave’s son explains how Superman shaves, and it has us in stitches!
- 00:00 — Kryptonite razors and hypnotic glasses
- 07:44 — New submission guideline for Eisners
- 15:58 — Publishing vs Self-publishing
- 21:45 — The offensiveness of rigidity
- 29:12 — Stretch break!
- 30:08 — Joke theft
- 48:39 — Exclamation points
- 01:03:10 — Embedding ads in your comic